Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Supernatural, season 1

Everyone I know loves this show, so I'm trying to catch up. I just finished season 1 last night and decided to write about my opinion so far. This isn't going to be a regular review. I don't do that. It's basically going to be things I like and dislike about the show.

My favorite episodes were Bloody Mary and Home. I can't include the last 3 of the season (Dead Man's Blood, Salvation, Devil's Trap) because they were all three just awesome and made for an incredible combined finale.

My least favorites were Provenance (because it was really dumb) and Wendigo (because the end was lame). Although, I loved the format in Wendigo and wish they had stuck to it. Step 1: categorize what you're dealing with. Find out what it wants. Step 2. find it. Step 3: use its weaknesses against it. It reminds me a lot of Criminal Minds where they profile the killers based on his/her victims and methodology. Once they know his/her needs, they can stop it. Unfortunately, Supernatural pretty much threw that format out the window and the boys just blunder through their hunts. Whatevs.

Between Sam and Dean, I think Dean is wonderful. I'm finding Sam hard to stomach. No one is that whiney and selfish, right? He reminds me so much of Peter from Heroes, and I recently learned I'm not the first to draw that comparison. Sam wastes way too much of my precious time crying and whining about Daddy (and Mommy, and Jess...do I sound cold?). Supposedly, he used to hunt these things with Dean and Dad before. Did he forget everything he learned? Did he ever learn anything?

Now Dean on the other hand, in addition to being hot, is a helluva lot smarter than Sam. Despite the fact that Sam went to Stanford.* Sam is "book smart" and Dean is practical. And when you're fighting demons, practical wins. Unfortunately, the show likes to do this thing where they try to pretend Sam is useful, and they'll make Dean do out-of-character dumb stuff so that Sam can seem smart (ex. Dean brings the magical Colt to the fight with the Demons when they rescue Dad. Dean would never do that. That's something Sam would do. Idiot).

Miscellaneous things: I want Meg back. She was awesome. Also, the music on this show kills. Except for the fact that they have an unhealthy affinity for Rush (there was one more Rush song that I was not forewarned about, flyboy), the soundtrack on this show has been perfect. It's ALL classic rock, except for the scores. And the scores are great too. I'm not even into scores usually.

Overall, I like the show. And I'll continue to watch it. I have to admit, if I just happened upon this show on my own, channel surfing, I wouldn't make a point of watching it regularly. Despite the fact that I do enjoy sci-fi and good drama, I'm not really into demons and witches and things that go bump in the night. The saving grace on this show is the relationship between Sam and Dean, including all their snarky comments to each other. If that relationship wasn't there, I would probably not finish the series. (Sorry Maxii and other friends who love the show).
________________________________________________________________

* Why does everyone in Hollywood think Stanford is such a good school? It's not really that great. As evidenced by all the idiotic TV characters that got their education there. Sam would never make it in law school.

No comments:

Post a Comment